21 avril 2015

Article about my OIB literature class -- Collaborating with an American author and becoming one!

Eric Price, award-winning fantasy writer, has agreed to be interviewed twice by my students and they are currently re-writing the third chapter of his novel, Unveiling the Wizard's Shroud. This collaboration has been fantastic and is still ongoing as Eric and I have new plans for the coming school year! Here is the first article. (published by the Café Pédagogique). Here is the second one published on Eric's author website. Here is the Padlet I'm using to share flipped resources with my class. And here is the first student version of chapter 3. Eric and I will soon give a webinar together about the whole project (on September 10, 2015.) Feel free to comment upon it and to share your feelings with the students!

57 commentaires:

  1. Thanks for inviting me into your class, Marie. This has been an experience like no other. I'm really looking forward to seeing your student's versions of Chapter 3 as well as our future projects together.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. You are most welcome Eric! Thank YOU for accepting the challenge!!! :)

      Supprimer
  2. Collaborating is a huge challenge. I can't imagine how to do it with an ocean in-between. Sounds interesting!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Laura! Yes, it is a huge challenge but that is the beauty of it!

      Supprimer
  3. What an exciting collaboration. Wishing you the best of luck!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. This is an amazing project. I wish all of you the best of luck with it.
    P.M. Griffin

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you so much! We are very lucky Eric accepted the interviews and then everything started! I'm very grateful to Eric :)

      Supprimer
  5. This is a really exciting way to share an author's expertise in an educational setting. How lucky these students are to be able to collaborate with a real author!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Sharing with students internationally is a wonderful thing. Currently, I live in Austria and I hope that you can bring the same information to a school here. If I had any contacts in the area, I'd give them to you but alas, all my children are grown and it was just myself and husband who made this journey. Good luck with it all. Working with kids is an amazing gift.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Great thoughts! Most authors are willing to help like this when they have time.My son called me one morning and asked me to talk (on speaker) to his writing class later in the afternoon about some general writing concepts he was teaching, and with his principal in the room. It was great fun.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Lisa! Yes, authors are fabulous! This must have been a lot of fun!

      Supprimer
  8. Ms. Fasquel, it sounds like a fun project for your students to rewrite Eric Price's third chapter of Unveiling the Wizard's Shroud and an exciting educational experience. Distance shouldn't be a factor and will make it even more interesting. I worked closely with a co-editor for my mysteries who lived thousands of miles away.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes, it makes it even nicer, especially as my students are in an American section and are studying American literature. You can guess how enthusiastic they are!:)

      Supprimer
  9. I would have loved to have done something like this when I was in school. I loved to read and write and would have been so inspired. This is a great idea.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you! The students are always ready for creative writing and this project is very inspiring for them. It is wonderful teaching them and engaging them!

      Supprimer
  10. What a fabulous idea! Beat of luck to you both as you continue your collaboration.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you very much! :) This is such an exciting project that I do not want it to stop!

      Supprimer
  11. Sounds like an amazing experience. What a unique way for students to interact with an author.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. It is indeed amazing! It is all the more valuableas the students study American & world literature for 7 hours per week and they love it and unusual assignments :)

      Supprimer
  12. I forgot to mention that I was Eric's content editor for the book. :)

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Great to see you here!!! WELL DONE!! :)

      Supprimer
    2. Thanks! Though I can't really take much credit as Eric put in the hard work writing and editing the manuscript. I consider myself more of a sounding board. :)

      Supprimer
    3. It is very nice to be surrounded and supported by a caring editor. :)

      Supprimer
  13. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. Fantastic idea, sounds like a fun way to learn about writing.

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. How neat. My students would have enjoyed something like this when I was teaching years ago. New technology is making the world so much smaller. Have fun with it.

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. Thank you Beverly! Yes, we are very lucky! I love teaching with IT and collaborating with students, teachers and authors from all around the world!

    RépondreSupprimer
  17. Great idea ! You know I would love to interact with your students as well, Marie ! :)
    Though it might be a bit awkward to interact in English about a French novel ? If not, just send me a Doodle with the most convenient times and I'll see if I can fit some time in.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you! That would be great! It would be mostly about the creative process, what it means to be a writer and similar issues. :) Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to it!

      Supprimer
  18. Looks like great fun, but also challenging. Best of luck with the project. I hope it goes well for you.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Yes, it is great fun and challenging!:) Thank you! It's going very well:) I've just received another student "chapter 3" and love it.

      Supprimer
  19. Here is the latest "chapter 3" student version :) (item n°20 on the above Padlet).

    RépondreSupprimer
  20. What an amazing way to use technology with your students. Sounds like lots of fun! Wish you the best with this collaboration.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you Mary! Yes it is a lot of fun and the studnts are sooooooo engaged! It is a dream come true for myself but above all for them as they are American section students :)

      Supprimer
  21. What a wonderful project both for you and your students! Best wishes...

    RépondreSupprimer
  22. Dear Marie-Hélène, I have been following your work and projects for the past two years and I am impressed by your innovative, fun, original and engaging ideas! Your students are not running the risk of getting bored! I particularly loved your flipped classroom and the gamification of your lessons! You are very easily making your tasks authentic and similar to real-life tasks and this makes your teaching uniquely engaging. Allowing students to interact and work and study with an award-winning published author is absolutely wonderful and so stimulating for literature students who have chosen an American international section. What is more, this is a motivating challenge for those who would like to become writers. I’ll keep following you and I’d like to work with you on a collaborative project in two languages (Italian/English) in which Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare) could meet Paolo and Francesca (Dante)… Looking forward to your answer!


    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Thank you so much! I am looking forward to eharing more about the Italian/English project and am extremely interested!!! :)

      Supprimer
  23. Hi! I'm a student of Mrs Fasquel. I just wanted to say how great it was to work with a published author. We will soon be collaborating again... on a project that will stay a surprise for now. All there is to know is that it will be a project even more exhilirating than the previous!

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Hello C! I'm very glad you are enjoying our collaboration with Eric so much and am looking forward to the next steps too! Thank you for dropping by!

      Supprimer
    2. Thank you, C. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the experience. I also look forward to the next part of our project. Sometimes in life, a person needs a little push to get them to the next level in their growth (sometimes they need a big push). Meeting Mrs. Fasquel and your class has been one of those pushes for me, and the results showed themselves in the editing process of my next book. I think, and hope, they will truly come to light as I start writing another book.

      Supprimer
    3. Thank you Eric for this message!!!!! It's been fabulous collaborating with you!

      Supprimer
  24. Hello I'm one of Mrs. Fasquel's students. I dropped by to see and leave a comment. I thought our project with Eric Price was very interesting. We learned a lot about his way of writing, who inspired him and even who was his favorite character of his novel. I hope we have as much fun with the rest of the project !
    J.M

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.

      Supprimer
    2. Thank you JM for dropping by! I'm delighted you enjoyed (and are enjoying) the project!

      Supprimer
  25. Thank you, JM. I'm thrilled you found our collaboration beneficial. It has certainly helped me.

    RépondreSupprimer
  26. i enjoyed the fact that we had to imagine what was going to happen because we could let our imagination "take over" and also i liked that we talked to an author who told us how he was working, writing, where did he get his inspiration from, etc. A

    RépondreSupprimer
  27. It was a great experience as a student too, because we do not have many occasions to meet famous authors in our scolarity.

    F.B

    RépondreSupprimer
  28. Hello! I am one of Mrs Fasquel's students. To be able to collaborate with an American author is incredible! It took us a long time to write chapter three, the experience was very beneficial! Being in contact breaks the traditional scholar rules which is a kind of liberty for us! Hope we will be able to stay in contact and collaborate if possible!

    RépondreSupprimer
  29. Hello, I am one of Mrs. Fasquel's students and this collaboration was really helpful for me to develop my writing skills, since I like to write. Moreover, being in contact with an author directly motivated me to write more. - Ishani.

    RépondreSupprimer

Bonjour !
Votre commentaire sera bientôt en ligne.
Merci d'échanger avec nous !
Gabriel et Marie-Hélène.